Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Eggs


We got some more eggs a month later and placed all of them in bowls, filled with moist vermiculite, in the incubator. The incubator temperature was set at 85 degrees, which is supposed to give an equally good chance of hatching males and females. All together we had 9 eggs, 4 from the first clutch (left bowl, which can't bee seen in the picture) and 5 in the right bowl from the second clutch. The months went by and nothing happened. The first clutch was already for 5 months in the incubator, but no hatchlings yet. I gave up looking every day and a week passed without me checking, then one morning, when I anted to see, if the humidity was still high enough, I leaned over the incubator and didn't trust my eyes. There was a half shell sticking out of one egg!


I was so nervous and excited that I couldn't stop staring at this cute little shell. My first egg had hatched and I felt like I was just giving birth to my first child. I slowly got the lid of the incubator and looked a bit closer.



I noticed the little guy was already fully hatched, and the egg shell was just laying on him, so I got him out to look if he was fully developed.


No comments: