Sunday, June 21, 2009

New Redfoot baby outdoor enclosure

This morning we launched the Redfoot baby enclosure for 4 hours, as long as it still was in the shade. The plants are still too small and don't provide shade during the day, so I thought, it might be a good idea to get them used to their new enclosure every day a few hours, until they feel comfortable and the plants are bigger.

They sure did explore every inch of it and i had to count 8 probably a hundred times to not lose anybody. I was sitting right beside the enclosure, made some pics and watched them carefully, so I can see what I have to improve to make it safer.
It all started out with a morning bath.

Then the breakfast got served

Here is a full view of the enclosure, while the babies still eat breakfast. Next week, when the plants are bigger, it will have natural shade and I can let them out a bit longer to get used to it.

Here is an other view from the side. where you see the glass door in the house that's my office, so I can have a direct view on them when I sit on my computer.

View from the opposite side. Babies are still eating.

The 2 plant screens you see on each side will be soon covered with Morning glories and Trumpet vine.

Little Rosie (in front of the pile in the middle) was done eating and started to explore.

3 are still eating and 4 headed to the green hide, while Rosie wandered around on the other side of the pen.

Here we see Kiwi on the right, 3 in the green hide, 3 still eating.

Peanut remains eating, while Kiwi got already hungry again and goes back to the breakfast table.

Here is Lily and Bobby under the Morning glories in the left and Peanut still eating. He'll get a big one, as much as he eats every day.

There is Pebbles, exploring the other side of the pen now.

Here we see little Rosie.

Peanut finally done eating and now climbing on top of the hubba hut. He actually managed to get on top of the rocks and I will have to make a higher barries on that side, so nobody can escape. Little Cookie between the succulent plant.

Peanut now under the Morning Glories, digging for something.

2 of the babies disappeared under the big hubba hut and one is checking out the Nasturtiums.

Yeah, those Nasturtiums are delicious, must try a few.

2 in front of the big hubba hut, 1 on the Nasturtiums

After 3 hours they became all tired and disappeared in the hides. That's when the sun came out and it got hot. I decided to get them back into their plastic bin for sleeping, which is in full shade, so they won't be baked in the sun. We will do this now every morning, until everything is covered with plants, so that I can let them in there during the day.

No comments: