Friday, August 14, 2009

Papaya, the fruit that all omnivorous torts love

3 days ago I thought it will be cheaper, when I plant my own Papaya trees. My torts just love Papaya over everything and I had to buy the fruits in the supermarket almost on a weekly basis.
I soaked the seeds in water until they germinated then got them carefully out with tweezers and planted them in individual pots. I planted 11, a few died, but most of them made it.

Here you can see a little seedling made it's way to the surface

Here is an other one emerging

All together I have 8 seedlings right now, but am expecting a few more to die. If I can get at least 3 to grow, I will be happy. Once they become a little studier, I will plant them in the big tort's indoor pens, one for each pen. They'll grow quickly and produce fruit in just 9 months. This should become a super food source - I wonder why I didn't do this earlier.

No comments: